888 Newark Avenue Jersey City, New Jersey - NJ07306
Based in a vast former tobacco warehouse, it unites artist studios, exhibition spaces, and ancillary services in a single location, facilitating conversation and collaboration among its burgeoning creative community.
Visitors receive unparalleled access to all projects occurring inside Mana, and experience a range of art-making techniques and presentations first-hand. A transparent, comprehensive hub of creativity, Mana offers a profound, personal approach to contemporary art.
Founded in 2011, Mana Contemporary is one of the largest and most innovative contemporary art organizations in the United States. Through its integrated architectural design, Mana offers exceptional services, spaces, and programming for the greater creative community. Its rapidly expanding flagship location in Jersey City, originally built in 1890, will eventually encompass a footprint of more than two million square feet.
Mana's integrated hive structure allows for the exchange of ideas between artists and art world luminaries. Practitioners specializing in a variety of disciplines—including painting, sculpture, photography, dance, film, sound, and performance—work alongside each other in a forward-thinking environment that fosters experimentation, collaboration, and mutual inspiration.
71 Hamilton Street New Brunswick, New Jersey - NJ8901
The Zimmerli Art Museum was founded in 1966 as the Rutgers University Art Gallery to celebrate the university’s bicentennial. The gallery was expanded in 1983 and renamed the Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum in honor of the mother of Ralph and Alan Voorhees, the major benefactors for the museum’s expansion.
Today, the museum’s permanent collection totals more than 60,000 works in a wide range of media and includes a survey of Western art from the fifteenth century to the present. The Zimmerli has particularly strong holdings in:
• Nineteenth-century French art, particularly prints and rare books
• Russian art and Soviet nonconformist art from the Dodge Collection
• American art, especially prints
The photography collection at Princeton is one of the leading museum collections in the country. The first photograph in the collection, a work by Alfred Stieglitz, was registered in 1949. In 1971, David Hunter McAlpin, Class of 1920, and Mrs. McAlpin donated their personal collection of nearly 500 photographs, including works by Ansel Adams, Wynn Bullock, Imogen Cunningham, Charles Sheeler, and Edward Weston. Since then the department's holdings have grown to over 20,000 photographs by more than 900 artists, forming a comprehensive history of the medium from the 1840s to the present. Archives housed in the department include those of Minor White, Clarence H. White and the Clarence H. White School of Photography, Ruth Bernhard, and William B. Dyer. Photography at Princeton, an extensive catalogue of the collection, was published in 1998. The collection is available to students and scholars through exhibition or viewing in the study room by appointment.
205 West State Street Trenton, New Jersey - NJ08608
The State Museum has collected over 12,000 works of art including paintings, prints, drawings, sculpture and photographs, most acquired since 1965 when the Museum's mission was expanded to include fine art.
The collection has an American focus that highlights the work of New Jersey artists within the context of American art history. Also included are works that depict New Jersey scenes and events. The strengths of the Fine Art collection lie in works by the American modernists associated with Alfred Stieglitz, American abstract artists of the 1930s and 1940s, a comprehensive collection of works by 19th and 20th-century African-American artists, contemporary American and New Jersey art, the complete graphic outputs of Ben Shahn and Jacob Landau and works by the New Jersey Fellows associated with the Brodsky Center for Innovative Editions/Rutgers University.